Daniel Keys is a photographic artist based in London whose work acts as an expression of self, articulating and exploring elements of his lived experience as a form of self-examination. Photography’s history as a document of reality and its ability to provoke visceral reactions in its audience inspires his tableau and staged work whereas the inability to provide an unbiased reflection of reality inspires his documentary and portraiture. All modes of photographic representation are subjective and can therefore be tailored into projects that say equal amounts about the author and the subject.
Expectations of Gender, Class and Culture and the inability to conform to these inspire his work and is a common thread that can be found in all areas of his practice. Utilizing the resources that are around him, his work often blurs the lines between reality and fiction, self-document and artifice. His work is at once autobiographical and voyeuristic, glimpsing into other’s lives, real or imagined.
His work has been exhibited in London, Rome, Berlin, Vancouver, Budapest and Indiana and has been featured in multiple issues of fLIP magazine. He works predominantly with analogue photographic techniques but utilizes digital scanning and manipulation to produce his work. He is an active member of Millennium Images and London Independent Photography.
BA(Hons) Photography. Middlesex University
- Portrait Salon 2018, Peckham Levels, Peckham, London
- L.I.P 30th Annual Exhibition, Espacio Gallery, Shoreditch, London
- LoosenArt: About Me, Millepiani Gallery, Rome
- L.I.P. 29th Annual Exhibition, The Old Truman Brewery, Shoreditch, London
- LoosenArt: A Surreal Vision, Millepiani Gallery, Rome
- Salon Des Refuses 2017, Candid Arts Trust Islington, London
- Dreamscapes: A Light and Dark Interpretation, School of Fine Art, Indiana University, Indiana
- L.I.P. 6th Annual Exhibition, The Original Gallery, Crouch End, London
- Feminine/Masculine, PH21 Gallery, Ráday Street, Budapest
- Photo-Forum, The Printspace, Hoxton, London
- 3rd FotoFilmic PULP Print Exhibition, PULP Gallery, Bowen Island, Vancouver
- L.I.P. 28th Annual Exhibition, Espacio Gallery, Shoreditch, London
- Portrait Salon 2016, Metro Imaging, Clerkenwell, London
- Photomonth Photo Open, Richmix Shoreditch, London
- L.I.P. 5th Annual Exhibition, The Original Gallery, Crouch End, London
- Photomonth Photo Open: Telling Stories, Richmix Shoreditch, London
- L.I.P. 27th Annual Exhibition, Embassy Tea Gallery, Union Street, London
- 8th Greenwich Annuale Greenwich Gallery, London
- L.I.P. 4th Annual Exhibition, The Original Gallery, Crouch End, London
- L.I.P. 26th Annual Exhibition, Embassy Tea Gallery, Union Street,London
- The Photocopy Club, Urban Spree Gallery Berlin
- Solo Exhibition, Vagabond N4, Finsbury Park, London
- The Real Reality, Vibe Gallery, The Biscuit Factory, Bermondsey, London
- Not for Rental presented by Little White Lies, 71a Gallery, Shoreditch, London
- Looking: Conjunction Zine, The Old Fire Station, Oxford.
- Platform: Middlesex Graduate, The Old Truman Brewery, Shoreditch, London.
- D&AD New Blood, The Old Truman Brewery, Shoreditch, London.
- L.ive A.rt: Where Art Comes Alive, The Waiting Room, Stoke Newington, London.